- About Us
- Volunteer Abroad
- Intern Abroad
- Get Involved
- Enroll Now
- Contact Us
Fundraising Tips for Your Volunteer Abroad Program
We want to help make it possible for you to learn, grow, and help communities in need.
Volunteering abroad is an amazing learning experience and journey that will change your life! However, many volunteers ask us, “Why should I have to pay to volunteer?” The answer is that volunteering in a developing country is different from volunteering on a Saturday afternoon in your hometown.
Volunteers abroad need accommodations, food, emergency health and evacuation insurance, in addition to in-country transportation and orientations to ensure their safety. Since volunteers live with host families, we need to provide funds to our host communities and partner organizations. All this adds up to the program fee.
Before you enroll in a Volunteer Abroad Quest, you may have concerns and questions about how you are going to pay for it. The good news is, you can raise funds to pay for your Quest itself, as well as for the airfare - and all donations are tax deductible! United Planet has created a guide with many ideas and tips on how to raise money to fund this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Download the United Planet Fundraising Guide. Below are some highlights of the ideas and resources you will find in the guide:
- Sample letter for letter/email campaign
- Sample press release to contact your local media
- Ideas for fundraising events
- Information for setting up an online fundraising page - it's simple to create and makes donating easy! Check out a page United Planet created for one of our projects here.
- Tips on using social media to increase donations
- Scholarship and grant information
- Fundraising Kit with United Planet promotional materials to use at events
Through efforts such as these, some United Planet volunteers have been able to raise enough money to pay for their entire volunteer Quest.
Check out some volunteer success stories in the Fundraising Guide. Thanks and good luck!